Israel - Masada and Dead Sea

4:32 AM


On my first weekend in Israel, I visited Masada and the Dead Sea with Bein Harim package tours.The day tour starts from Tel Aviv and costs about 100USD.

Our first visit was to Masada, an ancient fortification in the southern district of Israel overlooking the dead sea. Masada was first fortified by Alexander Jannaeus in first century BCE. Herod the Great built two palaces on the plateau as a refuge for himself in case of war.


Desert 



In 66 CE a group of Jewish rebels, the Sicarri, took asylum in the fort. Masada being one of the toughest natural fortification was difficult to conquer. The Roman legion surrounded Masada and built a ramp to the fort. When they reached the top, they were spell bound. Over 960 jews had committed mass suicide.

Today Masada is a major tourist spot in Israel and visited by hundreds everyday. You get into a rope car to reach the top of the hill where the fort is situated. During summers the temperature here reaches upto 45-50 degrees celsius. One is recommended to carry lot of water and skin covering clothes.

You can have a magnificent view of Dead Sea from Masada. On the other side of which is Jordan.


Dead sea on the way to Masada



Complex at Masada

The ramp to conquer Masada was built here

Steam bath for the King. They lived lavish at a desert

Stanley and I







Now all that remains is ruin of profound history

Panoramic view from Masada






After lunch at the food court in Masada we left to Dead sea for the floating sessions. I couldn't take many pictures of Dead Sea for obvious reasons. I have been to the world's highest motorable road at Khardung La, India. Dead sea being world's lowest motorable road at 1407ft below sea level I was very excited.

Dead sea time




Dead sea


Tristram Starling

Ibex


What not to do in Dead sea.
  • Take a dip in the water. Salt water burns your eyes.
  • Don't stay in the water for more than half an hour. 
  • Don't swallow the water
  • Wash the mud within 30 minutes. 
  • Don't swim in the water
  • Dont go far enough, you might reach Jordan.




Climbing up Masada in a cable car




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I've heard good things about this dead sea product! Going on my wish ♥ list now.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Twitter

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Flickr

Slow shutter speed.
Follow me on Instagram